Author Thread: Anti-Immigration Groups
Tabby is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 10:19:17 AM Tabby
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 228

Anti-Immigration Groups
Posted: 28 Apr 2006 09:53 AM
This post is in regards to this article:

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/398298.html

I just had to post about the anti-immigrations and their general ignorance and stupidity. In this post, I'm going to discuss some things that are mentioned in the above article along with things I've seen mentioned on the news.

The above story mentions a woman named Ruthie Hendrycks who led a protest at the Minnesota State Capitol about a month ago. When she was interviewed by a local TV reporter, she said she wanted immigrants to learn to speak English. If you read my post about the history of immigration in the U.S., you'll see that immigrants have been required to learn English for approximately 100 years.

The story also mentions a man named Paul Westrum who says he dislikes immigrants because they current ones don't try to be American; they keep their culture. This amazes considering that in Minnesota, you can easily find Lefsa (a Scandinavian bread that looks like a tortilla, but is made out of tortillas), Swedish meatballs, and Lutefisk. Shouldn't the Swedes be forced to give all of these up? I mean, how anti-American of them (I'm being sarcastic here).

Hendrycks also mentions how she felt jobs were being stolen from Americans because a local meatpacking plant was hiring illegal immigrants. I don't agree with businesses who go out of their way to hire illegal immigrants, but let's think about this a bit. Do you really think some of these places would be hiring so many new illegal and legal immigrants if Americans wanted those jobs? I don't know if anyone is really familiar with meatpacking plants, but they are pretty horrible places to work at. Most of the jobs that are being taken by illegals are jobs that Americans don't want anyhow: landscaping, housecleaning, nannies, harvesting crops, manufacturing, and various menial labor tasks.

Hendrycks also mentioned how she was angry when she bought a box of hair dye and it had instructions in Spanish. Do you think she gets equally angry when items have instructions in French? I doubt it. I wonder if she understands how strong global trade is at this point and that many items are not just sold in one country, but many.

I guess I'm just amazed that a country has always been about immigration (remember, the only people in this country who aren't immigrants are the Native Americans) no longer wants certain people immigrating because their skin is brown, not white. That's what this really is about.
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Re: Anti-Immigration Groups
Posted: 02 May 2006 10:42 AM
Hi Tabby,

This whole issue sure has exploded. I am not much on current affairs, probably because I am always wrapped up in my own little world, but every now and then things happen that really bring things to my attention. This whole issue has just been horrible but at least it is bringing some of the issues into the light. Alot of times, people let these things simmer inside and then explode. Surely there is enough exploding going on, but I hope that this may be a way bring it to the forefront. I personally must confess that I really did not give it much thought until recently. It really is sad that things are this way. We are all immigrants in one way or another.

~mel~
Tabby is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 10:19:17 AM Tabby
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 228

Re: Anti-Immigration Groups
Posted: 02 May 2006 12:16 PM
Hey Mel,

I tend to hate when the little guy gets picked on, so maybe that's why this is a hot button issue for me. Or that one of my pet peeves is when people go on big crusades and don't even have their facts straight; that seems to be going on here.

I saw a really funny t-shirt recently about this though. It had a very old picture of some Native American men with muskets. Beneath it, it said something like "Homeland Security since 1567" (I probably have the year wrong, but you get the point).

I also think this issue needs to be handled carefully or we could end up in a scenario like France had earlier this year with rioting and civil discord. Some articles I've read in the past month or so have linked the French riots with their (and most of Europe's) guest worker policies.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Immigration  > General  > Anti-Immigration Groups  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC