Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Health Insurance need help and expert advice
rachel21 is not online. Last active: 1/23/2007 11:59:43 PM rachel21
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 1

Health Insurance need help and expert advice
Posted: 23 Jan 2007 11:59 PM
Good day Sir/Ma'am,

Hi guys im Rachel..newbie here..anyway guys, can i have your advice regarding where to get a Health insurance? coz im planning to insure my health..i hope i can get any recommendations on what insurance to go through and what are you paying? I have been surfing the net to find a good and affordable health insurance which i can use..i tried one shop insur. the cost was ok, but i want to know if there are any more out there who could give out something more affordable and can i depend my money on these?. thank you so much.

Do you have any recommendations?? I appreciate any input!

thanks in advance.
Tabby is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 10:19:17 AM Tabby
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 228

Re: Health Insurance need help and expert advice
Posted: 28 Jan 2007 12:03 PM
Hey Rachel,

I am going to try and help since no one has answered yet.

I'm assuming you are in the U.S. (I think most developed nations have universal health care available through the government.) If you are getting health insurance by yourself, it can be extremely expensive and not provide really terrific coverage unless something catastrophic happens (major car accident, emergency surgery, etc.). I have a couple of relatives who are self-employed so they are self-insured and I know they have very high deductibles that must be paid in full prior to getting insurance to cover anything. Also, when you self-insure, some insurance companies will take your weight and current health into consideration, so they may decide to either not cover you or you will have to pay very high premiums. Many will also not cover pre-exisiting medical conditions for either a year or more. This means that any medical condition you have been treated for in the past will not be covered by insurance for usually a year.

My advice would be to try and find a job where you can either get insurance immediately or within 90 days. Large companies usually will not have a pre-existing conditions clause and the plans are generally pretty good plans (they tend to cover quite a bit and you have more freedom in what doctor you see). Generally, almost any government job or unionized employer (this would include some grocery stores) will get you decent and less expensive health insurance.

Before I forget, insurance also can really depend on where you live. For example, if you are low income, you may be able to get insurance through Medicaid, which is a federal government program for low income folks. In the state I live in, they also have some other programs for people who have been uninsured for more than a year, I think.

Good luck - hopefully someone else will weigh in on this with more specific info.
bvfrenchknitter is not online. Last active: 8/6/2009 5:20:04 AM bvfrenchknitter
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 05:20 AM
I would suggest caution seeking individual insurance. I remember a Newsweek story a while ago. The reporter's brother was learning disabled and signed up for insurance with one of those companies that advertise on TV. The cost was high and the coverage wasn't great. It got very bad when his brother got ill. It turns out that they sell the insurance in short intervals of time, let's say 6 months. After 6 months you have to sign up again for a new policy. Any illness you develop during the first 6 months is considered a pre-existing condition for the next 6 months and not covered. The other thing you need to watch out for is a plan that isn't insurance but more like a membership plan. By paying the money you get the right to a reduced rate for services from a certain group of doctors. It may work for you but it isn't exactly insurance.

I'm not sure where you live or what your income is but in some states if you are low income you can get insurance through a state pool. It is like that where I live - Massachusetts.

Perhaps the suggestion you were given previously about trying to get insurance through your job is a good idea. I've also heard sometimes you can get insurance through professional organizations.

Good luck. Health care is such a mess and so expensive.
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Posted: 09 Aug 2009 03:11 PM
bvfrenchknitter - good advice. I agree with you 100%, insurance in the USA is a mess and expensive! Let's hope a solution presents itself soon. Thank you for posting!

~mel~
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Health  > Women's Health  > Health Insurance need help and expert advice  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC