Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: South Asian Books
Tabby is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 10:19:17 AM Tabby
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 228

South Asian Books
Posted: 06 Mar 2007 12:19 PM
Since Dollmommy brought up a movie based on Jhumpa Lahiri's book, "The Namesake", I wanted to start a thread here about South Asian fictional books (books that are based in India, Bangladesh, etc. or have characters originally from that area of the world).

I would definitely recommend Lahiri's books. I have only read "Interpreter of Maladies", but I highly recommend that book. It's basically a collection of short stories: most take place in the US or the UK (I think), but a few take place in India. Most are bittersweet stories that will really stick with you and are pretty emotionally stirring. The character development is so incredibly good that, as I mentioned in the Movies forum, her characters seem like real people.

Another author I'd like to recommend is Monica Ali. I read her book, "Brick Lane", which takes place in Bangladesh and the UK. It is about a rural, Muslim, Bangladeshi girl who through an arranged married, ends up in London with a much older husband at a fairly young age (possibly under 16 years old). Through letters from her sister, who refused her arranged marriage and instead married for love, still living in Bangladesh.

This is a 300-400-page book, but honestly, I could have read it in one sitting. There's a decent amount of characters, but Ali does such a good job with character development and describing situations, I felt like I was there witnessing the events in this book. It was very easy to create a picture in my mind of what the characters looked like and what certain book settings looked like. To me, this makes a book so much more interesting.

Happy reading!
dollmommy is not online. Last active: 10/30/2007 8:18:24 AM dollmommy
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 175

Re: South Asian Books
Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:01 AM
Sounds like a good read. I will look it up on Amazon.

I am now reading Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni's book called "Arranged Marriage". It is a collection of stories of Indian-born girls and women in America. It almost reminds me of the way the Joy Luck Club was written except the stories (so far anyway) do not intermix. They are more like a tapestry of stories.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 09:17 AM
I'll have to put that one on my list.Smiley I'm really into Indian/Bangladeshi lit right now, especially if it's a female author.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 07:40 AM
I have finished it. 2 day read. It was very thought provoking.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 13 Mar 2007 07:49 AM
I am now on Jhumper Lahiri's The Namesake. It is very good. Another fast read book since it is well written!

I buy a lot of used books through Amazon since it is cheap and fast. Does anyone else do this?
priya is not online. Last active: 5/17/2008 6:22:37 AM priya
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 203

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:05 AM
Dolly: I don't but I try to read online books. How are you guyz doing? After a long gap me dropping in here.

You can also use this site to keep in record the book you have read or reviewed.
priya is not online. Last active: 5/17/2008 6:22:37 AM priya
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 203

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:06 AM
I enjoyed reading this book Dolly!!!
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 21 May 2007 07:17 AM
I'm currently reading "The Namesake" and I really like it. Once I finish it, I can see the movie version (if it's still even out).
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 07:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

The new link for the India Book List is http://www.pardesifashions.com/books.aspx

~mel~
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Books  > Fiction  > South Asian Books  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC