Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: my India dream
goldenrey is not online. Last active: 2/1/2008 4:30:12 PM goldenrey
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 6

my India dream
Posted: 11 Jan 2008 03:46 PM
I wasn't sure how to subject this so I made it kinda vague. For the past year and a half I've wanted to go to India. Im an adventerous (did is spell that right..im a poor speller) person at heart and have always wanted to travel and explore the world, but assumed like every teen after highschool i'd ship off to college get a job and continue the usual cycle of american life.

Around july of 2006 I went with my classmates to a place called the Dome. there we watched a documentary about a seven yr. old boy in India who traveled for many years all over india and finally became a preist of some kind. The Dome is a half dome where a movie is projected and it feels like you are right there almost like 3d but more amzaing. The scenery of India was stunning and the first 15 minutes of the movie captured my heart in a way nothing ever had before. It was after that I knew that I had to go to India.

this is my last year of school and I'd like to go to India as a photagrapher. I want to capture the festivals like Diwali,a groom coming to get his bride, the people coming out of the temples, the marketplaces,the immence buildings of Mumbai, the scenery...everything.

The thing is I don't know much about traveling abroad I've read some stuff about India but It wasn't really helpful. Now thanks to the previous thread about traveling I understand a bit more but realize even more how hard it will be for me to go alone.

As a female traveling anywhere in any country is hard enough and I realize I'll be all alone without my family or freinds or anyone to help me but I feel this urge, this intense tug to go there. So any advice on anything would help me. Like what city would be best to start from,or how money works over there, should i get a dog can I bring a tazer?, where would it be easier to get a job, how travel works...anything.
thank you

~rey~
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Re: my India dream
Posted: 24 Jan 2008 07:50 AM
Hi Rey,

Sometimes people have urges to do things and go places without any other explanation other than they feel drawn to it. Sometimes these things/places turn out to be exactly what they thought they would be and sometimes they do not. These things are all dependent on the person and their experience. While there are many things that are beautiful and wonderful about India, there are a lot of things that will be different to you. Different can be a positive experience and it can also be a negative experience. Thus far, your experiences with India have not been first hand.

If you feel strongly about visiting India, then you should try to visit when the time is right for you. Before you make any major decisions to live there or spend a long amount of time there, I would recommend you take a small vacation to sightsee and visit places you have heard and read about. You never know what might happen. You might get there, spend two weeks photographing everything and decide that you have fulfilled that need in you. Then again, you may get there, spend two weeks there and decide that you would like to stay longer. When you return to your home, you can start looking at opportunities for working and staying in India long term. The first thing that comes to my mind would be as a student on a student visa. I was not sure if you are a high school or college student so I don’t know if this would be relevant to you or not. Since you are interested in photography, you could possibly look into studying photography in India if that is applicable to you.

I would urge you not to travel alone for your visit to India. There are a lot of tour groups and going in a group might be the best way for the first time. Just make sure you check out your tour group’s creditability. Companies like AAA makes trips to India once a year usually and there are surely other credible groups make the trip. You should understand though that the things you will see and be exposed to on a tour is not the same as being off the tourist path. It is just a way to start out and they are likely to take you to several different cities so you can get a little sample of several different places.

As for money, this is not as good of a time financially as it had been 2-3 years ago. The US Dollar continues to fall so the dollar doesn’t go as far as it did in India. You will of course have to get your money converted to Indian Rupees. If you decide to book a tour, a lot of those things will be explained to you at the time of travel or before. I don’t know about weapons laws in India, as it may vary by state to state like it does in the USA. One thing I can tell you is that you really do not want to do anything that can get you arrested in another country. It is also very important that you check in with your embassy when you arrive and let them know how long you will be staying and how they can contact you.

Before planning your trip you should check for current travel warnings. If you are a US citizen, you can do this from the US State Department’s website. You can also get a wealth of information there about traveling abroad in general:
http://www.state.gov/travelandbusiness/

Country specific information for India can be found here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1139.html

There is a lot of information here but it is worth a read.

Good luck!

~mel~
goldenrey is not online. Last active: 2/1/2008 4:30:12 PM goldenrey
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 6

Re: my India dream
Posted: 28 Jan 2008 03:57 PM
I see, thanks.
It'll check out the sites and I did think about a student visa.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Travel  > India Travel  > my India dream  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC