Pardesi Logo Pardesi
Pardesi Community Forums Home   Search   Login   Register  
Arts/Crafts  > General  > Mardi Gras Arts and Crafts Projects for Toddlers Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers  

Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Mardi Gras Arts and Crafts Projects for Toddlers Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Mardi Gras Arts and Crafts Projects for Toddlers Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers
Posted: 05 Feb 2008 11:27 AM
Mardi Gras Glitter Masks

Hi All,

I just thought I would put this out there for anyone interested:

Recently my preschooler found out I was giving a presentation at my son's high school on Mardi Gras and she felt a little left out. I realized that if we had been living in Louisiana still her preschool would have been doing some Mardi Gras activities since it is such a big part of the culture of Louisiana. (Many schools actually have Mardi Gras parties the same way that schools throughout the USA have Halloween and Christmas Parties for the individual classes.) I volunteered to bring in a home made king cake for her preschool class and wanted to get the kids into the festive spirit. Since it was a last minute plan, I was unable to order masks for all the little ones and Mardi Gras masks are almost impossible to find in New England except at the party stores and you end up paying $5 per mask for a little piece of plastic with some glitter on it. With that in mind, we decided to make each child their own mask. My three year old was able to do a lot of the mask decorations and had a great time! It was so easy that if I had more time I could have brought it in and let the whole class do it. So if anyone is ever looking for an easy and cute Mardi Gras arts and crafts projects for younger children (2-10 years old) you might try making Glitter Masks.

Our Supplies:

Everything we used, we purchased at Wal-Mart.

1. Plain white or black craft masks - one for every child plus a few extra in case something should happen to one or two -ours ran about 50 cents a piece but if you have more time you can get them for even less through Oriental Trading company. Remove the string if you want the option of adjusting the string for a better fit or if you don't want to get glitter and glue on the string.

2. Paintbrushes for each child - we found that the larger sizes worked best for little hands but you can also use those sponge kind

3. One container of Modge Podge - this is like a glue/sealant combined that dries clear and can be found at almost every Wal-Mart or arts and crafts store. It is listed as Non-toxic which is a big plus when you are dealing with little ones

4. Paper cups or something to hold some Modge Podge for each child

5. Glitter in purple, green and/or gold

6. Lots of newspaper or things to cover your work area with. The glitter gets everywhere!

7. Plastic wrap

8. Paper plates big enough for the mask to sit on (optional)

9. Additional sealant (optional)

This is a supervised activity so make sure an adult can be around while the kids are actually doing this and if you can get a couple of adults to help out, even better! Set up all your supplies before you begin. Each child should have a work area covered in newspaper or some other protectant, a mask, a paintbrush, a cup with some Modge Podge in it and a paper plate if you are using it. (The paper plates work out well to help conserve some of the glitter. If you apply the first layer of glitter to the mask on a paper plate you can shake off the excess and use the excess glitter on the plate for touch-ups)

Have each child cover the front of their masks with a layer of Modge Podge. Little ones get especially enthusiastic about this and have that more is better mentality. So you will need to make sure they don't make too thick of a layer. It actually only needs a thin layer.

Since it is a thin layer, this will dry pretty fast. As soon as they have covered their mask with the layer of Modge Podge have them shake glitter over the mask until it is covered. You can do a solid color mask or do sections in purple, green and gold. Then let it sit for about 5 minutes untouched.

Have an adult help the child gently shake off the excess glitter from each mask. If there are any glaringly bare spots on the mask, apply a thin layer of Modge Podge over the bare spot and use your excess glitter to cover it. Wait 5 more minutes and shake off the excess again.

Wrap your paint brushes with plastic wrap and cover your Modge Podge containers with plastic wrap to keep them from drying.

The next step should be an adult’s job or if your children are older then can do this also. Gently turn the masks over and inspect the eye holes for excess Modge Podge and glitter. If there is some around the eye holes you will want to remove it for comfort in case they wish to wear their masks. You can use a wet paper towel to remove it or you can wait until it is a little more set and peel it off the back of the eye holes.

Let all masks dry at least 30 minutes.
The next step is very important or you will end up with glitter everywhere when the kids wear their masks. Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge over the entire front of the mask. Try to cover every little bit of glitter. This will seal the glitter and keep it from coming off every time someone touches it.

Let all masks dry 30 minutes.

If you removed the string while decorating the masks, you can put them back now. You may need a pencil to reopen the string holes.

I prefer to let our masks dry for several hours before moving them or doing anything else with them. The only real drawback I have ever seen with Modge Podge is that over time it gets a little sticky, so if you are planning on keeping this for a long time you might want to put a different sealant over it. For our masks, it was just a temporary thing so we didn’t bother with that step.

Once the masks are dry, rub a damp paper towel over the backs of the masks to remove any stray glitter, put the kids names on them so they don’t get mixed up and then enjoy!

We wore ours for a mini-parade where the kids all danced to Mardi Gras music and marched in their classroom. We also wore ours for Mardi Gras photos.

~mel~
priya is not online. Last active: 5/17/2008 6:22:37 AM priya
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 203

Re: Mardi Gras Arts and Crafts Projects for Toddlers Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers
Posted: 17 Apr 2008 06:25 PM
How have u been Mel? Long time I logged in. Know what, I forget my pw and just occupied with other things, finally I cud login today.

Its nice to know and see many people here. Hope I will drop by when time permits.

Tk..

Priya
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Re: Mardi Gras Arts and Crafts Projects for Toddlers Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers
Posted: 19 Apr 2008 04:32 PM
Hi Priya,

It is really good to hear from you again! I have been doing well and hope you have too!

Please do drop in when you can. You always were so helpful with your answers :-)

~mel~
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Arts/Crafts  > General  > Mardi Gras Arts and Crafts Projects for Toddlers Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC