Pardesi Logo Pardesi
Pardesi Community Forums Home   Search   Login   Register  
Health  > Infant and Toddler Health  > UTI Pain Relief for Infants and Toddlers  

Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: UTI Pain Relief for Infants and Toddlers
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

UTI Pain Relief for Infants and Toddlers
Posted: 12 Mar 2008 11:10 AM
For anyone that has ever had a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) you know how painful it is. I could never describe justly but let's just say that it feels like your entire lower region is spasming in pain. This pain is not unique to adults. Babies and Toddlers (especially little girls) get UTIs. In fact, it is common enough that a little girl in the ages of 2-4 years can have up to 3 a year before any real concern may drive further studies. To get to the point, UTIs hurt babies and toddlers too. I can not tell you how often I have been told there is nothing that can be done for the pain of a UTI in my toddler. It was agony for her and we both spent most of our days sobbing every time she had to go to the bathroom until the antibiotics kicked in. About a year ago, an emergency room doctor told us that even little ones can be prescribed the medication that helps numb the bladder. This medication comes under several names: pyrdium or phenazopyridine (generic) to name a few. While it is available over the counter for adults, it is not for children and in fact, many doctors (even pediatricians) do not realize it can be prescribed for little ones. After the emergency room doctor let us know about it and prescribed it for my toddler, I now ask for it specifically. If I am told that pain medication can not be given to infants and toddlers, I politely tell the doctor that it can be given to them as we have received it from an emergency room doctor. The usual reaction that we get when I tell them this is the doctor pauses and says “Let me check on this.” This is a sign of a very good doctor. Doctors can not know everything but one willing to look further into your suggestions/requests lets you know you are in safe hands. This is not to say that they are going to prescribe everything you ask for because that could be hazardous but once they realize that pain relief is available for infants and toddlers with UTIs they are very willing to write a prescription for the appropriate dose.

I am writing this so that others can help ease the pain of their babies when possible. If you find yourself confronting a similar situation, do not hesitate to ask your doctor for a prescription. If they balk at first, respectfully ask them to check their drug reference for an appropriate dosage. If they refuse, ask them for an explanation. If their explanation doesn’t sit well with you, you have the right to take your child to another physician but I have never had a doctor refuse pyrdium once they checked their drug reference books/software, including our own pediatrician, a doctor on call and two emergency room doctors.

~mel~
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Health  > Infant and Toddler Health  > UTI Pain Relief for Infants and Toddlers  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC