Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: something different and new
mrsjsjmith is not online. Last active: 10/30/2004 4:05:37 PM mrsjsjmith
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 2

something different and new
Posted: 30 Oct 2004 03:57 PM
how is my name JOAN and my husbands name TOMMY spelled in Hindi?
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Re: something different and new
Posted: 01 Nov 2004 12:22 PM
Hi,

Names do not really translate because in Hindi there is no concept of the name Joan or Tommy. The only thing they can do is keep your name although the spelling may differ. Example, my name is Melanie but in India it becomes Malani. So your names would stay the same, although there might be some liberalization taken with the English spelling. For example, Tommy's name would probably become Tommi or Tomi because in many languages in India, the i makes the long ee sound. As far as actual Hindi spellings go, they do not have an alaphabet like we do in English represented by a letter. Their alphabet consists of symbols representing certain sounds. It is not possible to create those characters here as this forum only recongizes English alphabets BUT if you would like to see some examples of the Hindi alphabet here is a link to a page with vowels on it. http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/hindi/alphabet/vowels.html
Sorry I could not help more!
Evergreesony is not online. Last active: 10/18/2006 4:27:31 PM Evergreesony
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 192

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 02:54 PM
hi mrsjsjmith

inhindi your name Joan look like" जोन"
and TOMMY = टाॅमी

check here hindi alphabet
http://www.cfilt.iitb.ac.in/wordnet/webhwn/stage-one.php?SearchWord=joan&x=46&y=10

In india we have a meaning of every name.
Like we believe our name has some meaning or important but there is no meaning.
in india the spealling of jaon contain only two words but it contain 3 words when combining matra like o.
in case of "TOMMY" for writing you will see only two words by afetr eveulation matras you can egt 5 indivisual words in tommy name.
check this siteyou will get info about matra and other info about hindi.

But there is no meaning of jaoan and tommy in hindi.
If you tell me whatis the meaning of name JOAn and TOMMY in english so may be I can try to translate it in hindi.

hope it will help

http://www.uiowa.edu/~flare/Reference/Hindi/hindi%20dictionaries.htm

goldenrey is not online. Last active: 2/1/2008 4:30:12 PM goldenrey
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 02:13 PM
I read something about that. Like my name Esther means star so it would be tara....i think...
i looked it up though it was hard to find a hindi/english translation thingy on the web... is tara the right word?
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Posted: 09 Feb 2008 06:58 PM
Hi,

Yes, Tara as a name means star and sitara can also mean star. Sorry for the late reply!

~mel~
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Language Translation  > English-Hindi  > something different and new  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC