Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Henna
april is not online. Last active: 7/31/2008 1:06:13 PM april
www.sweetlotuscreations.com
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 58

Henna
Posted: 21 Dec 2005 02:23 AM
I have heard mixed things about using henna on the hair and would like to know if anyone has information on this. I've read it is very conditioning and then read it was very drying to the hair. I have ordered a pure organic powdered henna and have used it twice. I like the results I get with it and think it is better for my hair than commercial hair dyes. It does not seem to be drying my hair but I have been told the drying happens after long term use and/or when you quit using the henna.

Any thoughts?

April

April
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Re: Henna
Posted: 03 Jan 2006 11:06 PM
Hi April,

I have never heard of pure henna drying the hair. I have only heard good things about it. However I do not know about the henna dyes. I think that any process can dry your hair and it is important to use good conditioners every time you wash it.

While we are on the subject of henna though, I would like to state that the new fast acting henna and mehndi sometimes called "black henna" is something we should all stay away from. It is a chemical and may have serious consequences later on. It is best to stay with the traditional pure henna that has been used for thousands of years.

~mel~
dollmommy is not online. Last active: 10/30/2007 8:18:24 AM dollmommy
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 175

Posted: 11 Jan 2006 08:56 PM
I have a new question on henna. Does it cover gray? I have some gray strands and don't really want o dye my hair due to damage issues. Does henna cover gray?

Thanks.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 11 Jan 2006 09:12 PM
I have only just started using Henna (3 times in the past 3 months). I use a pure, organic Henna that I purchase from www.mountainroseherbs.com. If you use coffee for the water, it is supposed to cover grey hair. I have light brown hair and I'm getting grey. I also have a lot of natural red in my hair so I use black tea for the water and it brings out golden red highlights AND covers the grey. If you order from Mountain Rose Herbs, you get a pamphlet that tells you specific ways to use henna to get certain results.

I would not recommend using a commercial henna hair product that you buy off the shelf. These are often times as damaging as hair dyes. Pure, organic Henna will condition your hair and will not hurt it. At least, that is my experience so far. :-)

HTH.

April

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 07:04 AM
Thanks for the tips. I really don't like chemical beauty products and will follow your advice. I started using bare minerals make up recently (you order it from the bareminerals.com site) and I am really impressed with it. There are no chemicals in there to harm your skin. I was never a big makeup wearing bu as I am getting older, I could use a little coverage to even out my skin tone. This does the trip without looking like you are "made up".

Dee
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:08 AM
Hi April and Dee,

April, thanks for the tips. I would have never thought to mix it with coffee water. We mix it with tea water when we make Mehndi for our hands. Also, thanks for the site name. I will definitely be checking that out.

Dee, one thing I do know is alot of older people use henna in their hair in India. (By the way, when I say "older" I mean people in their 70's and above). I do not think they use anything in it, just pure henna paste. I have heard they do it for several reasons, one of which is that it cools the head during the summer. However, the more gray they have the more they look very much the same shade as Ronald McDonald. I do not think they are using it to cover the gray but as mentioned before for other reasons. I just wanted to caution you about putting it on as a straight paste because it will make your hair look like that too. That is why I am so happy that April has found a way to do it that will effectively cover gray without looking like Ronald McDonald.

~mel~
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 10:37 AM
Mountain Rose Herbs sells different colored henna for different colors of hair. I am not an expert on Henna use. I can only offer my experience. In the three times I have used it, believe me, I have not looked like Ronald McDonald!! LOL!!

April

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 10:39 AM
Hi Dee. I have been using mineral make-up too! I use the Maya brand. It was at a kiosk in a Fort Worth shopping center so I tried some. I am not a big make-up wearer either. My skin is gorgeous as a result of not glopping on chemical laden products for years. Anyway, I love the mineral make-ups and am researching how to make my own since I make all of my skin care, soap, and lotion now. I will share here on the list what I learn if that is okay with Mel.

April

April
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 10:58 AM
Hi April,

You are welcome to list anything you like here. We have a few simple rules about posting.

First, the post can not be offensive or meant to be deragatory in any way. We do not tolerate abusive language or implications. I doubt very seriously you would ever do such a thing but thought this would be a good time to bring it up.

Secondly, if posting things such as home remedies and home made hair/skin care and make-up recipes that you list a disclaimer saying to the effect that not all items (even natural ones) are appropriate for all individuals and all remedies/recipes should be tried with caution and common sense. Also, if posting a remedy like homeopathic medicine we just ask that you add to seek a physcian's advice before starting the treatment listed.

It is mostly common sense stuff, otherwise you are pretty much allowed to post anything here. We only moderate to keep it safe :-)

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I have not heard of mineral make-up but that sounds really nice. Now that you and Dee have both raved about it I will have to see what I can find!

~mel~
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 11:09 AM
Oh April! I am so glad you did not look like Ronald McDonald! LOL

That reminds me of something totally off subject but maybe you and the others will get a kick out of it.

When I was in India for my marriage, I was having my Uptan ceremony (where they put the haldi paste all over your skin) and they decided to just do it on my hands. It was a good thing they did because I am so fair I stained a bright yellow. Could you imagine if they had put that all over my face? What a pretty bride I would have been!

My wedding dress was a deep red and cream. I chose to wear red undergarments with it and there was some confusion with it so the undergarments did not get washed before hand. The night of my wedding was so hot that even with fans going in the Palace, we were all sweating. When I finally was able to remove my bridal lehnga choli, I was stained a bright red over a good part of my body!

I had to be one of the more colorful brides in history with my bright yellow hands and my BRIGHT red body, not to mention the vermillion (sindoor) used during the ceremony stained my forhead and scalp this extremely intense red color!

~mel~
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:30 PM
I am rolling!!! Well, they do say India is full of vibrant, rich colors. Oh how funny, Mel. What did your husband say? But what precious memories they are too.

I have always wanted to have my hands done with henna. Is this something that is done for a wedding or are there other occasions that this is done for?

April

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:39 PM
I make soap, lotion, lip balms, bath salts, body butters, foaming bath butter, and have just added cream soap to my list of products. I use all vegetable based products as much as I can. I started this as a hobby and a quest for good skin care products because I was not happy with what was out there on the market. It is now on the verge of becoming what I hope will be a burdgeoning home-based business. I have mixed feelings about "going public" versus just selling as I have been, word-of-mouth. But, at some point, we all have to step out of our comfort zone. Without the full support of my boyfriend, I don't think I could do it. He has helped me design my webpage and tests products for me, along with various family and friends. Believe me, Satya is my toughest (but most fairest) critic. He took several of my products with him to India for his family and they all love them.

April

April
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Jan 2006 10:33 AM
Hi April,

I am glad you found my little story funny. I still chuckle when I think about it. As for my husband, his reaction was almost as funny. You see, I am a bit of a clutz and pretty much if it can happen, it will happen to me. That first trip it seemed like I was doing something to myself everyday (little things like stumping my toe). When the haldi ceremony stained my hands he knew about that and kind of expected it to some extent. The Mehndi pretty much hid it though. It was his fault about the Sindoor staining my scalp and forehead because he was supposed to take a banana leaf and sprinkle a little on the parting of my hair. He didn't realize this and poured the WHOLE thing out. One of his aunts had to use her saree palla to wipe my face in the middle of the ceremony. (We have it ALL on video tape!) so he was not surprised when he saw my head and scalp were so red but when he saw that most of my body was a BRIGHT red, what should have been a romantic first night together as a married couple ended up with him jumping out of bed and offering to take me to the hospital. He was like "What has happened now, you are turning all red??!!" Needless to say our wedding night was pretty much spent in hysterical laughter over my adventures and colorful body!

To answer your question though about the henna, it can pretty much be done anytime though most women will do it on special occasions such as at holiday time, before the wedding of a relative or friend, before a special event, some women do it around the time of a baby's birth, near their wedding anniversary, etc. I guess really you can get it at anytime but that is when I see it most often. In India during the big holiday seasons such as Diwali you will see Mehndi artists everywhere in the market and hordes of women waiting to get it. At wedding times, they usally hire an artist or two to come to the home and do it for several women. I LOVE mehndi but because it has to sit so long I usually only get it a few times per year (usually at Diwali and at Karva Chauth). I only get my hands done now but for my wedding I got my hands, part of my arms, my feet and part of my legs done.

~mel~
Tabby is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 10:19:17 AM Tabby
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 228

Posted: 13 Jan 2006 10:45 AM
April,

That's really cool that you make beauty products at home that are mostly vegetable-based. I try to use as much cruelty-free products as I can; almost all my beauty and personal care items are cruelty-free and/or non-animal product based as are quite a few of my cleaning products.

Since we're talking about henna, has anyone tried Henna Penna? It looks like a magic marker, so probably would be easier to apply than mixing and putting henna in a cone to apply.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 04:30 PM
I heard mention of tea and coffee water. Is there a specific ratio to make this type of water (i.e.-1 part tea to 2 parts water?)

Don't want to make a boo-boo!

Dee
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 01:45 PM
I don't know about mixing the two. Right now, I just use the tea as it brings out reddish blonde highlights. The coffee is supposed to cover the grey. I have not tried the coffee. If I were going to mix them, I would do it half and half. Depending on how much grey you want to cover, you may want to do more. If you are not interested in the reddish-blonde highlights, then just use straight coffee.

April

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 10:13 PM
I just did my hair again tonight and here is how I do it:

I boiled 16 ounces of water for the tea, added 2 black indian tea bags and let it steep for about 10 minutes. Squeezed the tea bags and began adding the tea to the henna powder 2 ounces at a time. I ended up mixing in 4 ounces of tea. Drank the rest with a bit of honey and milk. Yum!

I mixed the powder and tea into a paste until it was the consistency like glue, slathered it on, let it sit for 2 hours, then washed and condition. I always have to wash my hair several times to get all the henna out.

I have shoulder length hair that is layered and is very fine. Baby fine! It isn't too thin, not too thick. The vendor I buy the henna from says for my length of hair to use 4-6 ounces of henna powder. The first time I used the henna, I used 6 ounces. The second time I used 4 ounces. This time I went with 2 ounces. It was just right. You have to play with the powder/tea amounts to get the right amount for your hair. In find the ratio of 1:2 for powder/liquid works well to get the right consistency for the paste. Depending on the henna powder you purchase, you may need more or less.

Hope this helps.

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 20 Jan 2006 08:19 PM
Thanks April,

This helped greatly as I have fine, shoulder length, brown hair. The measures yougave me sound accurate for my hair. I don't have a lot of gray but if this works, I would keep it up.

I don't want to use chemical hair dye as it causes breakage and other problems.

Thanks for your help!
Top 25 Poster

Re: was Henna - now Hair Growth/Conditioning
Posted: 26 Jan 2006 10:02 AM
Also, once a week I condition my hair with the following:

Scalp-Stimulating Hair-Growth Formula

1 ounce jojoba oil
4 drops clary sage oil
4 drops rosemary oil
2 drops cedarwood oil
2 drops ylang ylang oil

Mix in a clean container by gently turning the container upside down several times or roll it between your hands for a few minutes to blend. Massage some of the mixture into your scalp daily. Leave it on for thirty minutes or overnight, then shampoo with Hair Growth Shampoo. I do this weekly (daily was too much) and the above recipe is enough for two treatments for my hair. I leave it on for 30 minutes, then wash. I do not put a conditioner on after. I wet comb my hair after washing and let it air dry.

I also use the following as a daily shampoo:

Hair-Growth Shampoo

8 oz. unscented shampoo (I make my own shampoo but I imagine you could use any unscented commercial shampoo)
12 drops rosemary essential oil
10 drops clary sage essential oil
8 drops cedarwood essential oil
6 drops ylang ylang essential oil

These are not my own formulations. I found them in, *A Complete Guide to Understanding & Using Aromatherapy for Vibrant Health & Beauty* by Roberta Wilson.

These formulas not only help condition your hair, but the essential oils are a good blend for helping reduce hair loss, stimulating hair growth, and making your hair thicker. I can say from my own personal experience, when I use these formulas, the number of hairs in my comb is almost non-existent. I also have noticed I hardly lose any in the shower, and my hair does appear to be thicker. As my hair is already shoulder length, I really can't comment on if it makes my hair grow any faster. I just know I'm not losing it nearly as fast as I used to and it isn't thinning out anymore. I have not noticed any drying effect of the henna on my hair, but if there is anything to the henna drying out the hair, the jojoba oil conditioning once a week would take care of that, or so it seems it has.

I am working on a formula for conditioner using the same essential oils but haven't quite perfected it.

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 08:34 AM
Interesting--will try.

Thank you.
Nai is not online. Last active: 1/29/2008 9:18:34 AM Nai
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 13

Posted: 01 Mar 2006 02:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum after Mel's suggestion. I really love henna and any info on hair :D My husband's actually Arab and I American and we live in the U.S. Henna is a big part of his culture as well and it's usually done for holidays and special events.

I've been wanting to learn to do it myself because where we live you don't have access to a large number of mendi artists. How do most women in India learn how to do it? Is it something that's just passed down in the family? I'm really curious about this.

About the hair recipes...Do you know a good place where I could order the various oils online? I do a lot of natural haircare myself and try to stay away from commercial products. Some of the oils are hard to find here though.

Thanks

Na'i
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 Mar 2006 05:21 PM
Na'i,

I can tell you where to order these essential oils from but the information is at home. I will post the web address later.

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 Mar 2006 10:25 PM
Na'i,

I purchase my essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs. I'm sure there are many, many websites where you can purchase essential oils. When purchasing essential oils, you want to make sure you are purchasing quality essential oils and not fragrance oils. There is a difference. Fragrance oils can smell the same, but they offer no therapeutic benefit. Essential oils are the only oils that offer therapeutic benefits. No matter where you purchase your essential oils, you want to make sure the essential oils are of a high quality and are not chemically processed, but are steam distilled. Mountain Rose Herbs has the added benefit of offering all organic essential oils that are grown with no pesticides and chemicals. Essential oils should always be stored in glass amber bottles. Some suppliers will ship in plastic PET bottles. Plastic is cheaper but your essential oils will evaporate faster, plastic allows for sunlight to degrade the oil further, and some essential oils will erode the plastic. Mountain Rose Herbs ships all their essential oils in glass amber bottles with droppers. I've been ordering from them for almost two years now. I can't say enough about their wonderful products and service. They are very good about educating their customers for those that are learning and have questions. They also carry organic henna powder and organic bulk herbs.

www.mountainroseherbs.com

Hope this helps.

April
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 02 Mar 2006 09:31 AM
April- I am glad you posted info about the differences in oil essence and fragrance and the color of the bottles (and the type of bottle). For rookies, this is important info. Thank you.
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 03 Mar 2006 09:11 AM
Hi Na'i Welcome!!!!

I agree with dollmommy, that was really good information. I did not know the difference before hand!

~mel~
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Pardesi Community Forums  > Beauty  > General  > Henna  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC