Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Educational expectations
jakessoccer22 is not online. Last active: 11/15/2004 10:25:45 AM jakessoccer22
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 8

Educational expectations
Posted: 23 Oct 2004 08:51 PM
My daughter just turned four as of yesterday and my husband is horrifically critical of the way I home school her. He compares her with my nephew, who is only 2 hours older than her, who can identify ALL of the letters of the alphabet as well as print and spell simple words. Although my daughter isn't far behind, I feel that she has a strong academic background but I don't want to smuther her with schoolings, yet. I feel that 1 hour a day of teaching and 2 hours of reading (accumlative) is plenty for her, now. Any advice, comments, guidance, knowledge of an 'average' guideline for her educational curriculum?

Anything supportive is appreciated, and any constructive criticsm is welcomed, as well!
Melanie is not online. Last active: 10/27/2004 10:17:54 AM Melanie
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 5

Re: Educational expectations
Posted: 27 Oct 2004 10:16 AM
Hi. If anyone reads any of your other postings throughout the site they will realize that you are American and married to a North Indian from New Delhi. If anyone reads any of my posts they will realize I am American and married to a North Indian from Punjab. It seems like the kids' education issue may be a common problem in many cross-cultral marriages. I can say this because my husband and I have gone round and round on it and also I know of at least three other American-North Indian families that have been through the same thing. Part of the problem lies with the difference in the education values of America and India. There are good AND bad aspects to both. For starters, Indian educations are pushed from a very early age and focus greatly on memorization aspects. To give you an example of this, my neice knew all her multipication facts up to 12 by the time she was 4.5 years old. When you compare that to American educations where children do not tend to learn those until they are roughly 2-3 years older, it is easy to see why many Indian parents feel that the American education system and values are in trouble. Perhaps in some ways they are right since we do tend to have a much lower math and science scores than many places in the world. At the same time, however, being a parent myself and having grown up in America in American education systems I am a firm believer in a more well-rounded education. It is very difficult for many Indian parents to relax to the standards we have and for many they can not do this as they firmly believe that pushing education from an early age, they are giving their children a big head start in life. To be honest with you, I really do not know which is the right way. I look at my husband's education which focused so much on math and sciences and memorization and neat handwritting and he is truely a brillant man, especially in math. I look at myself, who had a much more relaxed education and I find that my handwriting may be a little more sloppy than his but I have never had anyone EVER ask me what is said AND furthermore, I think I turned out pretty well too. My husband even conceedes that I am "brilliant in history, culture, language and creative thinking". We established that both educations turned out intelligent people. Perhaps you can do a couple of things to make your husband feel a little better about the education you are giving your daughter. 1. First, contact the school she will be going to for kindergarten. Ask them to provide you with a list of what she will need to know to start kindergarten. Then go through that list and see what she knows and what she needs help with. Work from the list but do not get so focused on it that you feel driven by it. 2. Next, try adding a few more things to it so that she does have a head start but remember that pushing a child too hard is not going to help. 3. Remind your husband that every child is different and it is not good to compare children. Perhaps his nephew will be really great with the alphabet but then maybe your daughter has different strengths and she will be really great with something else.
Hope this helps!
Chachi 420 is not online. Last active: 1/9/2005 3:29:45 AM Chachi 420
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 11:30 PM
Melanie has given very sound advice especially about the cultural attitudes. I would like add that I am a homeschooling mother since about 9 years now. Many americans , who are disgusted with the public school system here, will welcome the idea of homeschooling. But immigrants who come from a land where schools are generally very good and the children attending those schools are very SAFE at school, have no idea what really goes on in schools here and feel that all kids here deserve a public education. Their hearts are good and intentions are the best but they then put their kids into a public school and wonder later, why their 13 yr old girl is pregnant?
Not all schools are that bad of course! But many are not like people from the outside world think they are. This country has its own problems and social situations which are unique. Getting a child ready for school here means not only a bit of academic coaching but a strong background in a safe setting of morality and a stable home.
The best learning place is mum's lap so there is no reason to rush a kid off to nursery school where mostly they learn things like "most aggressive kid gets the best swing at recess" etc.
I think Melanie has given good advice about the academics. Don't forget the background training as well , the love and comfort of being home and learning to deal with people of all ages.
Hope that makes sense!
Chachi420
Chris_S is not online. Last active: 1/17/2005 10:20:29 AM Chris_S
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 10:19 AM
I agree with Melanie that you can not compare children. I also feel that you are probably on the right track. I think you should check with other parents in your neighborhood with other parents who have children in the school system you are going to send your daughter. You can ask them what their kids had a hard time with in kindergarten and also what they were expected to know.
Evergreesony is not online. Last active: 10/18/2006 4:27:31 PM Evergreesony
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 192

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 11:58 AM
jake soccer .
yeah I agree with melanie you cannot compare with otehr kids.
may be she don't have intrest in this stuff but may be she will succed in another like any art stuff.
so don't ffel bad.

iIn India we starts early eaducation becuse when the child starts to understand and starts to talk we teach them speaking in very fluently but language .
becuse very small age kids have ability to learn anything, you can mold them however you want.
after some age it's difficult to teach them.

you know docters researched in this ce they came on result that if you liten soem alphabets or soem rhymes kind of thing when you are 7 thmonth preganat so your child will be very quick in education l.

If you are thinking school is not better you can teach her in home by introducinh all the things ,numbers,livng and nonlivng object t is also good for kids to know first herir surrounding.

yeha even My hubby he is great in maths and science .
he is fro enginnering then he turned himselfinto neuroscience.

i thaught how it is possible .

yes in india children know very good math.
when I was 3 year old I was in in school.

Don't put pressure on kids about study because ho much you put prssure that much they hate doing that stuff.

so just teach her very entermentally like you are playing with her by all this stuff even she doesn't feel this is soem education.
and she ill learn very quick
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Parenting  > Toddler Years 25 months - 4 years  > Educational expectations  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC