Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Diabetic Cat
Tabby is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 10:19:17 AM Tabby
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 228

Diabetic Cat
Posted: 24 Jan 2006 02:24 PM
Hey everyone,

We have two cats: Sophie and Ike. We found out last night that Sophie has Diabetes along with minor liver damage and a bladder infection that's not going away easily.

We adopted Sophie in Dec 2003 from a no-kill shelter that does some of their adoptions through PetSmart. She had been abandoned by an owner, adopted out and then "returned". According to the shelter, she would be about 7 now, but according to a vet we saw, she's probably around 10-12 years old now. Fairly quickly, we realized she had been abused in the past, so we've had to really work with her, including having her on anti-depressants for about a year and a half. This may seem goofy, but cats who are stressed or depressed will usually urinate wherever they want, so it was that or put her down.

She ended up with a bladder infection around the 15th of Dec. She went through 2 weeks of antibiotics and seemed okay, but when she visited the vet again, it had only approved a little. So, another round of antibiotics. When we took her in last night, there was more improvement, but they decided to actually culture her urine and found infection, but also glucose. They did a ton of blood tests and found her blood sugar was high. So, they taught us how to inject the insulin, we have both the cats on prescription food now, and Sophie has to go back again in two weeks for more blood work.

I don't really need advice on how to care for her, I guess, but I really need to share this with someone because I feel really bad. It's very possible the bladder infection was due to diabetes and now I wish we would have forced the vet to culture it the first time around. I just feel guilty in general because Sophie's had such a tough life and I thought I had made things better, but now I feel like we maybe didn't. On top of this, my husband doesn't really believe Sophie's diabetic because he doesn't like the vet we saw last night. The clinic we go to has a couple of vets working at any given time. We've never had this vet before and she was very timid and sort of clinical, I guess, which turned my husband off. I actually liked this vet because I thought she gave us lot of scientific or medical info as to what's going with Sophie.

Comments, tips, stories? :)
mel is not online. Last active: 10/2/2013 7:44:01 AM mel
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 509

Re: Diabetic Cat
Posted: 26 Jan 2006 12:43 PM
Hi Tabby,

I am glad you felt comfortable enough to share your feelings with us because I have a story that may help you feel a little better. Before I share that though, I would like you to know that you have nothing to feel guilty for because it is not always a common practice to culture urine for a first time infection. Secondly, you have given Sophie a better life. All you have to think about is this: if you had not adopted her and given her the love and care you have, she might not be alive or her quality of life could have been very bad because if someone else had adopted her there is no guarantee that they would have been so comitted to her care and her well being. Now, let me share a personal story with you. Though it is about a dog, I think you will see a lot of similarities to yours and Sophie's story.

One day I was at the bank and saw this most interesting dog walking around outside, looking up at everyone hopefully. This dog was incredibly friendly and had the most kind and expressive eyes I have ever seen but he was just plain funny looking. If you can imagine a cross between a german shepard and a weinnie dog you would have this one! I thought the dog might belong to someone in the bank but when I came back out I noticed the dog had a men's leather belt around his neck instead of a collar and leash so I went back in and inquired about it. The bank personnel told me that the dog had been there all day and they were going to call animal services on it. Being from the South, where dogs are put to sleep if they can not be adopted within 3 days, I immediately became very sad and decided to take the dog home. I was living in a rental property at the time so I could not really have him there but I thought to put ads up in the newspapers and flyers around town.

A few days passed and no one claimed our furry friend. Things were getting harder because my son fell in love with that funny looking dog the second he saw him and did not want to give him back if the owner came forward but as it turned out no one ever claimed him despite the ads, calls to the animal shelters, etc. Within a few days, we noticed the poor doggie was very sick and was urinating blood. We took him to the vet to the tune of $500 out of pocket and found out he had a really bad urinary track/bladder infection. We treated that and he got better. By this time, the doggie had become ours. My son named him Baxter.

The vet estimated that Baxter was around 10-12 years old when we found him and as it turned out he was a pure breed dog called a Welsh Corgi. Even more rare, he was an intact male which meant he had been a breeder. To this day I can not imagine why no one claimed him. I debated keeping Baxter with us because 1. we were in a rental 2. we were a young family, really without the financial ability to take care of a pet and 3. with his advanced age, I was afraid my son would get really attached and then the poor old thing would die within a year or less. These things were taken out of my hands though when Baxter protected my small son from some teenagers that decided to bully him in my own yard. I knew that Baxter loved my son and my son loved him. They spent the next 6 + years loving each other and weathering all sorts of storms.

We bought a house a few months after Bax came into our lives. It had a big back yard where my son and our dog spent long summer days rolling down the hills and rushing down the snow covered hills on their sled. One day, I was watching from the kitchen window as my son was hurtling down the hills on his sled and to my horror I saw that his sled hit something in the snow causing it to veer off course and was heading straight for the trees. I ran from the house in bare feet but I knew even as I hit the snow that I would never be able to catch him since the sled was travelling so fast. Everything was happening so fast that my son could not seem to get off. All I could do was watch in horror as I was running toward him and then out of no where I saw this blur of brown and black. It was so fast, I thought I had imagined it at first. "IT" was Baxter. He managed to catch the sled with his teeth and pull it to a stop, barely an inch from the trees. My son's face was actually scraping the tree bark, so you can imagine how close he came to hitting his head going that fast. Baxter was around 15 years old when he did this.

I could share so many other stories with you about our beloved Bax but I think I should get to the point. Baxter had frequent urine infections over the years and they checked him for diabetes every year at his check-up because of his age and frequent urine infections. Nothing ever showed up until about 3 years ago. He got sick and we could not get him well despite antibiotics. Diabetes showed up finally and I found myself giving him 2 injections a day. Despite his diabetes, he had good quality of life though. Everytime he went in for a checkup the vets would just shake their head and remark that they could not believe this dog was not only still here but in such good health other than the diabetes.

About a year and a half ago, Baxter started getting sick again. He had a cough that would not go away and he started sleeping alot. Even though he was so sick, he still managed to be our family's best friend. When he took his naps, he did so beside my premature daughter. She had to have constant touch for the first year of her life or she could not sleep. So he would let her ball her little fists into his fur and he would lay down beside her and she would sleep for a few hours a day that way.

I mentioned that Baxter had a cough that would not go away. Well, it was not something that was contagious or the baby would not have been allowed to sleep next to him. The reason for his cough was because he was in congestive heart failure. After nearly 18 years of life, our Baxter's heart was just giving out. We of course, made sure he was in no pain. We kept him on medication and until the last few days of his life you would never have known that little dog was dying. In the end we had to keep him on oxygen to keep him comfortable until the vet could confirm that this was the end. When the time came to say goodbye, the vet told us that she thought our Bax had been kept alive on love alone.

My point for this long story (that it has been my honor to share with you all) is this: We are entrusted with the care and love our animals and/or children for a reason. Sophie came into your life because she needed you and you needed her. Sophie is yours because you will care for her and love her. You have given her a good life in the time she has been with you. Be thankful that you have found the diabetes and can help her feel better. Once you get her blood sugar under control, Sophie is going to feel like a new cat and she owes that all to you and your husband.

~mel~
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 12:23 PM
Oh, Mel, that post was so sweet and meaningful, it made me cry (not a bad thing). Before I get started, I also wanted to give my sincere sympathies about the loss of your daughter. May she always be with you and may you one day be reunited with her.

It always saddens me how some breeders treat their animals. With Baxter, I wonder if his former owner(s) decided he wasn't useful or what. I think when anyone starts treating any person or animal as just something that produces a sellable product, it just creates so many issues and problems and hurt for many people. (I probably didn't state that well, but I'm kinda thinking along the lines of Ghandi's remark about how you can tell a lot about a society by how they treat their animals.)

When I was very young, my family had a bulldog-terrier mix, Spotty. One set of grandparents was worried he would attack me as a baby and told my parents to get rid of him. It was probably good they didn't because he was my personal nanny as a baby and preschool child. My parents always had a stormy relationship, but Spotty wouldn't let anyone get near me if they were angry. He would sleep under my crib and if I fussed, he would jump up and check on me. If he couldn't calm me, he'd find my mom. So when I read about Baxter, it made me think about Spotty and all the good times I had with him before we had to put him down (he got mean in his old age and snarled and snapped at me).

It makes me feel so much better about Sophie from your kind thoughts and words. I had a clinic appointment yesterday, so I was gone for part of the day. When I got back, Sophie got so excited, she was tearing around the living and then literally jumped on my lap. This is a big deal because Sophie will not usually jump when people are around. She's physically fine in her hips, but evidently was abused so severely for jumping by an owner, she's too afraid of punishment to jump. So it made me feel good about her in general. :)

~T
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 10:54 AM
Hi Tabby,

I just wanted to tell you that I think you were very lucky to have had Spotty in your life, just as we were to have Baxter in our own.

I agree with you on everything you said.

I am glad that Baxter's story could help you see that Sophie is incredibly lucky to have found you!

~mel~
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 31 Jan 2006 08:59 AM
Tabby,

I forgot to add my thanks for your kind words regarding my daughter. She is still with us in many ways. We opened a "soup" kitchen in India in her name and did a few other charitable acts in her name. If I ever get the time I am going to post a community service page showing the soup kitchen photos. Part of the proceeds from our website sales go toward supporting it.

~mel~
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 31 Jan 2006 04:29 PM
Mel,

That's great! I feel very good to have ordered an outfit that will help support charities. :)
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 11:15 AM
I just wanted to post here that our cat, Sophie, died last night. She went into a sudden seizure last night and we're not sure how long she had been having the seizure; when we found her she was already on her side, foaming from the mouth.

We did take her to an ER vet clinic where the stabilized her. But I think the seizure may have damaged her brain because she wasn't really there anymore. There was also a very strong chance she would never be permanently stabilized and even if she was stabilized, there was a huge chance she'd have an even more severe seizure that couldn't be stabilized.

So we had her put to rest. I feel this was the most compassionate thing we could have done for her.
www.pardesifashions.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 12:10 PM
Hi Tabby,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. There are no words to ease your grief but I hope you know that you did the best thing you could for her. As in the beginning you were brought into her life to love her and protect her, you were called on again. You fulfilled this call with love. That is all we can ask of life and those around us. Know that Sophie knew you loved her and did everything in your power.

~mel~
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 05:33 PM
Hi Mel,

Thank you for your kind words - I appreciate it.

We actually adopted another cat today. Her name is Sarah and she is around 6 years old; she's a stray from a nearby city. She's extremely mellow and sweet and is actually doing really well so far. Our now senior cat, Ike, is doing well, but is a bit weirded out that Sophie is not around.
priya is not online. Last active: 5/17/2008 6:22:37 AM priya
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 203

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 11:49 PM
Tabby,

Sorry to hear that. Ther are no words to describe the loss. I know how it feels. I had a dog long time back and it was with me for 14 years. Well it died naturally coz of oldage. But it was my favo and close to me. After that, I made a promise myself not to have any pets.

Priya
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 Apr 2006 08:25 AM
Hi Priya,

Thank you for your condolences - I appreciate it very much. :)

I can completely understand your promise not to have anymore pets. It can be so difficult to have an animal being with you everyday and then suddenly they aren't there. Even if an animal is old like your dog was, it is still very difficult.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Pardesi Community Forums  > Pets  > Cats  > Diabetic Cat  

Important Disclaimer: The forums provided are open to the public. They are here solely to provide a source of information for our customers looking for this advice, products or services. The opinions expressed on these websites are those of their individual authors. Due to liability issues the advice, ideas, products, information, products, or services these forums provide are not endorsed by this website or its owners/employees. We recommend using common sense, making inquiries to people you trust, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material, advice, or purchasing the products or services generated from these forums.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Pardesi Services LLC